Tuesday, January 30, 2007

THE HEEL BLOCK

STACKING THE HEEL.

At the weekend I got around to glue the block together. As with the neck I discovered that I had been as tight with my heelblock segments as I was with my neck. I was barely able to make them fit within the patterns - it was with in millimeters. Not good! In future I must make an effort to be a little more generous when I rough cut.

As preparation for the heel I planed the first and second segments down to 18mm. This will, I hope, end up giving me even sized segments all the way down to the heelcap that is intended to align with the binding. If all goes to plan, I would just have to shave the very bottom of the third segment to accommodate for this.

Once all the segments were prepped, I carefully went about the assembly with a dry run before adding glue. I prepared stop blocks and supports to keep the segments from sliding in the wet glue, as I did when I glued the scarf joint.

Then it was time for the real thing.


HEEL BLOCK SEGMENTS

THE STACKED HEEL

CHECKING PATTERNS

THE OBLIGATORY GLUING

No comments: