Tuesday, February 06, 2007

DRILLING THE TUNER PEG HOLES

Sunday was a day for more drilling. I did originally intend to do this procedure by hand with a doweling jig, but as I didn't already have a jig and didn't wanted to go to the trouble and expense to buy or make one, I opted to use my drill press - a little 12" Delta. With a bit of MDF and some clamps I got a simple setup that worked adequately. I used a 13/32" brad point for the first half of the holes to avoid chipping at entry and then switched to a normal twist bit, similar sized, to finish it of. As the peg head is slightly smaller than a normal sized guitar, I was afraid that otherwise the long 'lips' of the brad points would have drilled unnecessarily deep holes. Probably a rather unorthodox approach but it worked.

In retrospect, I didn't take into account where the pegs themselves were sitting on the plates. I assumed they would have been evenly seated at top and bottom but, as I found out they are slightly off set. Luckily they were just able to fit within the top of the head but if they had been the lyre variety, I don't think things would have worked out.


DRILLING TUNER PEG HOLES

TUNER PEG HOLES 01

TUNER PEG HOLES 02

HEAD WITH DRY FITTED TUNERS

No comments: