Friday, April 13, 2007

PREPARING ROSETTE ELEMENTS

PART 1 - THE CENTRAL MOTIF ELEMENTS.

It's been long since my last post. I was stalling for a bit, dreading making the shooting jigs for the individual tile elements, one for shooting a slight taper in the holly and a jig for shooting miters for joining the walnut/holly/walnut and walnut/maple/walnut segments. I finally got it done.

For shooting the elements I'm using my Lee Valley bevel-up Jack plane. It is a wonderful plane; Big, hefty. low gravity and really well tuned right out of the box. One of the neat things about Lee Valley's bevel-up planes is that they all share the same frog design so blades can be interchanged freely among them. I have a 25º that came with Jack plane a 38º that came with the Bevel-up smoother and a 50º I bought seperately. This is a really versatile setup that covers virtually all applications. For shooting the taper in the holly I'm using the 38º blade.

I calculated that I would need about 51 tiles to complete the circle which comes to about a 7º taper for per tile, or 3.5º per holly strip. I set the sliding bevel to 3.5º and tilted the jig accordingly leaving a gap of as close to 1.2 mm at the bottom as I could, the desired thickness of the thin side.

I used double sided sticky tape to hold the strip in place but I deliberately didn't compensate for the that as I left the strip a bit wider leaving room to play once the walnut veneer was glued one ready for the miter to be done.

BEVEL-UP SMOOTHER AND JACK PLANES WITH BLADES

BEVEL-UP PLANE BLADES

TAPER JIG

CHECKING THE TAPER

SHOOTING

THE FINISHED HOLLY STRIPS

GLUING THE WALNUT/HOLLY/WALNUT SEGMENT

No comments: